SPBB802: Master's thesis in Biology
Please note that this master's thesis is carried out over three semesters. The master’s thesis is for students that follows courses alongside the writing of the master thesis, minimum 15 ECTS courses. If you have passed all courses from 1 and 2 semester of your Master's degree programme, you must choose a master’s thesis that is carried out over two semesters. Administratively the thesis is registered with 20 ECTS per semester. Consequently it is important to consider whether you meet the student activity requirements of 45 ECTS each year.
A supervisor contract and project statement must be handed in.
Submission is conducted electronically via spoc.sdu.dk/form/778/submit. Submission must take place no later than 1 week after the semester has started, but is recommended, that it is handed in as soon as possible. The contract must be approved by supervisor, study committee and the head of studies.
Be aware that it is not possible to fill in the form after deadline of submission, since the application system will shut down. The system will reopen in connection with the next course registration, then you can fill out the form for the next semester.
Further information on the selection, construction, execution and completion of the project can be found on this page.
04015701 (former UVA) is identical with this course description.
Expected learning outcome
- master the theories and methods within a field of the biological sciences,
- analyse issues within the central biological disciplines, and establish new, scientifically founded models for their solution,
- plan and perform advanced biological investigations,
- evaluate submitted hypotheses from a qualified theoretical background, and deal critically with the student’s own research results and scientific models, as well as those of others,
- put biological issues into perspective using the ways of reasoning and argumentation, and professional terms of the biological sciences,
- contribute to the development of new scientific insigts and new applications of the reults of biological research.
Exam element a)
Deadline for master's theses begun in the spring semester is the 1. June after starting the thesis.
Report and oral defense
The master thesis must contain an abstract of the contents of the report, cf. "Eksamensbekendtgørelsen" (statutory order of examinations) section 24, subsection 2. If the report is written in Danish, the abstract must be in English. If the report is written in English, the abstract must be in Danish. Further guidelines for the report are provided at the department's website.
Indicative number of lessons
|08 - 09|
|09 - 10|
|10 - 11|
|11 - 12|
|12 - 13|
|13 - 14|
|14 - 15|
|15 - 16|