IABB502: Individual study activity in Biology
Study Board of Science
Teaching language: Danish or English depending on the teacher, but English if international students are enrolled
Censorship: Second examiner: Internal
Grading: 7-point grading scale
Offered in: Odense
Offered in: Autumn, Spring
STADS ID (UVA): N100018101
ECTS value: 5
Date of Approval: 28-03-2018
Duration: 1 semester
Version: Approved - active
04015811 (former UVA) is identical with this course description.
A supervisor contract and project statement must be submitted.
Submission of the contract is done electronically via spoc.sdu.dk/form/1305/submit. This must take place no later than one week after the semester has started, but it is recommended, that it is submitted as soon as possible after registration.
Be aware that it is not possible to fill in the form after deadline of submission, since the application system will shut down. The system will reopen in connection with the next course registration, then you can fill out the form for the next semester.
Students taking the course are expected to have knowledge of the basic principles of scientific argumentation and development of theories in biology, and to have the fundamental biological knowledge that is necessary to access the chosen topic.
The aim of the course is to enable the student to carry out a small research project and to give the student detailed insight to a specific biological topic of the student’s own choice. The student obtains experience in acquiring knowledge within a field, identifying and formulating a scientific problem, and attempting to solve the problem. This contributes broadly to the development of the student’s academic qualifications.
The course builds on the knowledge and skills acquired in previous project-based courses, and it strengthens the scientific foundation for the further study in general, and for the bachelor project in particular.
In relation to the competence profile of the degree it is the explicit focus of the course to:
- Provide competences to identify own learning needs and structure personal learning.
- Provide skills in conducting experimental investigations, critically evaluate biological theories, and express, evaluate and solve biological problems.
- Provide knowledge and understanding of scientific theories, experimental methods, and current research topics in biology, and how these are employed in biological discussions.
Expected learning outcome
The learning objectives of the course are that the student demonstrates the ability to:
- Create an overview of scientific principles and methods in the field of the topic chosen
- Analyse and evaluate own scientific results in the perspective of previous research within the area
- Suggest directions for future research
- Express oneself in scientific terms
The topic of the course depends on the choice of the student and may lie within any field of biology.
Exam element a)
The oral exam is held during the exam periods of January and June.
Second examiner: Internal
7-point grading scale
Full name and SDU username
Normally, the same as teaching language
To be announced during the course
Indicative number of lessons
|08 - 09|
|09 - 10|
|10 - 11|
|11 - 12|
|12 - 13|
|13 - 14|
|14 - 15|
|15 - 16|