FY802: Advanced statistical physics.
Students taking the course are expected to have knowledge of thermodynamics and equilibrium statistical mechanics.
Expected learning outcome
- Apply relevant models of equilibrium and non-equilibrium phenomena in systems with many degrees of freedom
- Apply relevant numerical methods
- Validate and interpret the results of both simulations and theoretical analyses
- Critically examine different levels of description for the same physical phenomenon
- Non-equilibrium statistical mechanics: stochastic processes, master equations, irreversible thermodynamics, continuity equations, and transport coefficients.
- Critical phenomena and renormalization theory: 2nd order phase transitions, critical exponents and scaling at a critical point, renormalization and scale invariance, dynamical critical phenomena.
Exam element a)
The exam takes a starting point in approved project reports written during the course.
Re-examination in the same exam period or in immediate extension.
The examination form for re-examination may be different from the exam form at the regular exam.
Indicative number of lessons
- Study of the teaching material
- Exercises and projects
|John Hjort Ipsenemail@example.com||Institut for Fysik, Kemi og Farmaci|
|Paolo Sibanifirstname.lastname@example.org||Institut for Fysik, Kemi og Farmaci|
Team at Registration & Legality
Recommended course of study
|MSc major in Physics - Registration September 1st 2017 and 2018||| Odense||1||E19|
|MSc major in Physics - Registration September 1st 2017 and 2018||| Odense||1||E20|
|MSc major in Physics - Registration September 1st 2018||| Odense||1||E21|