FY828: Advanced statistical physics
Bachelor's degree in physics or equivalent degree; minor in Physics.
The course cannot be followed by students who have passed FY802.
Students taking the course are expected to have knowledge of thermodynamics and equilibrium statistical mechanics.
Expected learning outcome
- Apply relevant models of equilibrium and non-equilibrium phenomena in systems with many degrees of freedom
- Apply relevant numerical methods
- Validate and interpret the results of both simulations and theoretical analyses
- Critically examine different levels of description for the same physical phenomenon
- Non-equilibrium statistical mechanics: stochastic processes, master equations, irreversible thermodynamics, continuity equations, and transport coefficients.
- Critical phenomena and renormalization theory: 2nd order phase transitions, critical exponents and scaling at a critical point, renormalization and scale invariance, dynamical critical phenomena.
- Principles of Condensed Matter Physics by P.M. Chaikin and T.C. Lubensky.
See Blackboard for syllabus lists and additional literature references.
Exam element a)
The exam takes a starting point in approved project reports written during the course.
Re-examination in the same exam period or in immediate extension.
The examination form for re-examination may be different from the exam form at the regular exam.
Indicative number of lessons
- Study of the teaching material
- Exercises and projects
|Michael Andersen Lomholtfirstname.lastname@example.org||Institut for Fysik, Kemi og Farmaci|
|John Hjort Ipsenemail@example.com||Institut for Fysik, Kemi og Farmaci|
|Paolo Sibanifirstname.lastname@example.org||Institut for Fysik, Kemi og Farmaci|
|08 - 09|
|09 - 10|
|10 - 11|
|11 - 12|
|12 - 13|
|13 - 14|
|14 - 15|
|15 - 16|
Team at Registration & Legality
Recommended course of study
|MSc major in Physics - Registration September 1st 2019||| Odense||1||E20|
|MSc major in Physics - Registration September 1st 2019||| Odense||1||E19|
|MSc major in Physics - Registration September 1st 2020||| Odense||1||E20|