BB549: Sustainable Future
This course cannot be chosen if:
- You have passed either BB536 or NAT511
- BB536 or NAT511 are mandatory courses on your programme
- Have knowledge of the content from the first year of the Biology study
- Give the competence to have an academic understanding of the relationships between environmental issues/biology and innovation, the ability to see and experience possibilities for new solutions, ideas and methods and be part of innovative work situations
- Give skills to innovative and management orientated use of the biology study, cooperation and network with public and private partners as well as experiences with a specific innovation project
- Give knowledge and understanding of environmental challenges, possibilities for management orientated use of theoretical knowledge, cooperation with industrial partners concerning actual challenges, methods to be innovative, see possibilities and convert ideas to knowledge and communication.
Expected learning outcome
- Demonstrates the ability to be innovative
able to identify if an idea is possible theoretically, describe pros
and cons, development needs etc. in a professional context
- Show the ability to search for relevant knowledge concerning a particular challenge
- Gain knowledge based on literature, talks, excursions and own initiative
- Structure a written paper concerning a specific topic on an academic level both theoretically and linguistic.
- Carrier management
- Innovation, entrepreneurship, spin-off
- Selected challenges as for example methods to handle and treat urban runoff related to climate changes, technologies to reduce eutrophication in aquatic environments, monitoring and remediation of environmental pollution, biosensors, isolation of enzymes with potential for biotechnological applications from nature, geo-engineering, microbial monitoring, biotechnological exploitation of hyperthermophilic microorganisms, communication.
Prerequisites for participating in the exam element a)
It is a prerequisite for being able to take the exam that you have participated in 60% of the scheduled hours or alternatively completed similar activities, which are agreed with the responsible teacher.
The prerequisite examination is a prerequisite for participation in exam element a)
Exam element a)
|Type||Prerequisite name||Prerequisite course|
|Examination part||Prerequisites for participating in the exam element a)||N100057101, BB549: Sustainable Future|
Written report and pitch
To be announced during the course
Indicative number of lessons
- Introductory lectures concerning the course, carrier and innovation
- 2-days camp with scientific lectures combined with session where companies/institutions presents challenges/knowledge gaps where there is a need for solutions. This parts ends up with a brainstorm process/idea and group formation and first part of the project work. Contributions from SDU and companies/institutions.
- 3-days camp, which if possible, is held outside SDU. Intensive work with project ideas mixed with lectures about generation of new knowledge, ideas, spin-off, entrepreneurship, talks given by former students, which can contribute with their experience about innovation and input about possibilities for cooperation during the study.
- Last part of the second camp is a pitch session with participation from the involved companies.