Strategies for entering the Danish labor market for international students
Academic Study Board of the Faculty of Engineering
Teaching language: English
Censorship: Second examiner: None
Offered in: Odense
Offered in: Autumn
Course ID: T700049101
ECTS value: 5
Date of Approval: 30-04-2020
Duration: 1 semester
Internal Course Code
Responsible study board
Date of Approval
|Danny Colmortenfirstname.lastname@example.org||TEK Uddannelse, Det Tekniske Fakultet|
|Helene Fast Seefeldtemail@example.com||SDU RIO, Student Collaboration|
|Jesper Rotvig Jensenfirstname.lastname@example.org||SDU RIO, Student Collaboration|
|Peter Øhlersemail@example.com||Institut for Idræt og Biomekanik|
As the course is aimed at international students it is a requirement that you were admitted to the University with a foreign qualifying exam (i.e. a secondary degree/high school diploma from outside Denmark).
Learning objectives - Knowledge
- The students get an understanding of the strategies to successfully entering the Danish labor market.
Learning objectives - Skills
- The students are able to identify and work on their career skills and resources - both professional and personal.
- The students are able to adopt an analytical approach to the Danish labor market.
- The students are able to communicate in an intercultural context
Learning objectives - Competences
- The students are able to engage with career professionals in the labor market.
- The students are able to reflect on and exploit their career skills and competences - both professional and personal
- The students can communicate their skills and competences to a potential employer orally and in writing
- The students are able to engage with career professionals in the labor market and actively build a professional network within various organizations
The purpose of the course is to give the students the skills to navigate the Danish labor market and the abilities needed to succeed in their first career and to stay competitive in a changing job market. The goal is achieved through work with theory, fieldwork and practical exercises.
As part of the course the students will be attached to a career-mentor. A career-mentor is a professional currently working in a Danish company or organization. Throughout the course the students will engage with the career-mentor in the Danish company or organization and develop an understanding on how the students' degree matches the expectations from the labor market for engineers. The students will likewise obtain an understanding of how to communicate in an intercultural context.
In the course, the students will work with their career skills. This includes ability to communicate skills (both professional and personal), networking skills, interpersonal and intercultural skills.
URL for Skemaplan
OdenseShow full time table
The course consists of 6 lessons. In addition, fieldwork (e.g. meeting with the career-mentor) between the lessons of minimum 15 hours. The teaching will be participatory and workshop based.
Number of lessons
33 hours per semester
Examination is held
At the end of the semester
Assessment is based on:
- Attendance in at least 5 of the 6 sessions and completion of field work activities – e.g. career-mentor meetings
- Written exam based on the work during and between classes
Form of examination
Second examiner: None