FF501: First year project
The contents of 1st-2nd semester courses of either Applied Mathematics, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Biology, Biomedicine, Pharmacy, Physics, Chemistry og Mathematics are assumed to be known.
Expected learning outcome
At the end of the course the student is expected to:
- Plan and complete a project based on a scientific question and related design (theoretical project or experimental research)
- Handle the most common IT-tools
- Communicate, collaborate and share knowledge by e-learn.sdu.dk
- Write a report and make a poster of the project
- Undertake a thorough literature search for analysis and discussion in the report, in the oral presentations and during the exam
- Communicate the project at a poster conference
- Make an oral presentation of the project at the exam
- Discuss and motivate important aspects of the project at the exam
- Demonstrate overview and skills to integrate important aspects of the project at the exam
6) Biochemistry and Molecular biology
7) Health Science (Only for students of pharmacy and pharmaceutical science)
8) Interdisciplinary projects, which involves 2-3 of the topics above
Students can either choose a monospecific project, in which it is possible to go into details of a scientific topic within one of the disciplines 1-7 or choose an interdisciplinary project, in which the topic covers several
disciplines. Most monospecific topics will naturally lead to interdisciplinary training (for example, in order to do a project on
environmental biology, it will be necessary to learn some chemistry). It is possible to focus on interdisciplinary training by choosing an interdisciplinary project. .
Prerequisites for participating in the exam element a)
Participation in meetings and mandatory mini-courses
The prerequisite is made up of four parts. All parts must be passed in order to participate in the exam:
- Participation in meetings with supervisor
- Participation in midterm seminar
- Complete mandatory mini courses
- Active participation in group work in preparation of the project report
Exam element a)
The final evaluation requires approval/acceptance of four elements:
Poster presentation and
- Individual oral examination consisting of a presentation based on the report and questions in the report.
Point 1 - 3 must be approved to achieve a pass grade in the oral examination. The assessment of points 1 - 3, including the project report, is only valid up to and including the re-examination period of the same year.
Re-exam in August after appointment with the supervisor.
Indicative number of lessons
Selection of project and supervisor based
on informational meeting and the written information. During the
selection of project, groups are formed. The groups consisting of 3 to 5
1) project planning in collaboration with the supervisor. The project is identified and the project is planned.
Achieving the required tools and competences through one or more mini-courses. The mini-course in Poster production are mandatory for all students, whereas other
mini-courses can be taken as needed. It appears from the specific project description, if more mini-courses are mandatory for the selected project.
3) Collection of knowledge, experimental design, and execution of experiments.
4) Mid-term seminar with presentation of problem.
5) Knowledge analysis, data processing.
6) Reporting, process analysis and production of poster.
|08 - 09|
|09 - 10|
|10 - 11|
|11 - 12|
|12 - 13|
|13 - 14|
|14 - 15|
|15 - 16|